Horticulture trip in China

China Horticulture Study Abroad and Grower Field trip

May 18-31, 2014.

Agriculture professionals including, but not limited to, students in  agriculture disciplines, university extension, research, and teaching personnel in agriculture, farmers, ranchers and urban agriculture professionals, are invited to participate on this trip.

Thanks to USDA ISE funding, the 2-week trip costs only $1,000 for ALL in-country expenses. Don’t miss this opportunity—–this is the last of 4 trips. 

2014 Scholarship ApplicationForm (mandatory prior to registration; deadline: March 09, 2014)

Trip info and registration 2014 (Registration link https://agriliferegister.tamu.edu/index.cfm/productDetails/ProductID/1414/)

The following section is for trip 2013 ONLY.

May 12-26, 2013.

The May 12-26, 2013 horticulture production and marketing trip in China will include universities, research institutions, production companies, and markets, which offer opportunities to directly experience and witness horticulture crops (fruits, vegetables, flowers, etc.) season extension research, production, and marketing in China in order to comprehend a broader perspective in season extension technology. While the primary focus of the study abroad trip is to view and evaluate China’s use of season extension techniques, the group will also be exposed to other agricultural practices used in China. The participants will have opportunities to interact and to learn from their peers in China.

The USDA ISE scholarship is extended to March 1, 2013.

Watch this <4min youtube introduction.

2013 China trip flyer for everyone else (including tentative itinerary)

2013 USDA International Science and Education Scholarship Application Form(for both students and non-students)

TAMU International Agriculture Academic Scholarship Application 2012REVISED 8-29

This is for TAMU students only. For anyone else, please refer to the “2013 China trip flyer for non-students” for details.

If you’re serious about learning Chinese, here’s a scholarship—2012 Confucius Institute Scholarship Announcement.

International Travel Health Insurance

I do not promote any specific company—- some companies that have traveler’s insurance are listed below.

HTH Worldwide
T: 610.254.8706
F: 610.293.3529
HTH Worldwide combines internet expertise with global medical and security knowledge and health insurance experience.

T.W. Lord & Associates
T: 770.427.2461
F: 770.429.0638
T.W. Lord offers both individual brochure products (“The Plan,” “The Plan for Study Abroad” and the “Seven Stones” series) and custom-designed health insurance plans for international students, scholars, exchanges, ESL, travelers, and study abroad programs.

Worldwide Medical 
T 800.647.4589 US/Canada
T 480.821.9052 Worldwide
F 480.821.9297

HCC Medical Insurance Services
T 800.605.2282

The following section is for trip 2012 ONLY.

Check out about the our first two trips  http://msucares.com/crops/hightunnels/china (2010)



I will be offering one summer trip (July 2-16, 2012) and one winter trip (TBA) this year. The cost will be $2,100 (you only need to ‘surrender’ $1,100 if you apply and receive a USDA ISE scholarship), which covers everything in China, including lodging, meals, transportation, and excursions. You just need to get yourself to Beijing airport on July 2, by purchasing your own air ticket (~$1,200) and getting visa (~$200) and stuff like that. Information is available by contacting me mgu@tamu.edu.

1 Q: What do you think of Panda Phone or something like it? See   http://www.pandaphone.com/china_cell_phone_rental.htm.

It would cost about $40 for rental and shipping, then 59 cents/min to call the US. OR will wifi be available enough to use skype or other free service almost daily?

A:When I was in China last time, I bought a very cheap phone (RMB100=~$17) just for calling (not smartphone), and RMB 100 for minutes. That lasted for 3 weeks when I was in China. Calling US will cost RMB 5/min (~$0.7/min).

I didn’t use that to call back US. I used MSN and SKYPE since wifi was available enough to use skype or other free service (google chat services, etc.) almost daily.

2 Q: On the long train rides, will we have sleeper cars?

A:Yes, definitely sleeper cars if it’s a overnight trip. It’s a lot of fun. You’ll enjoy and students from the previous trip LOVED it. You’ll get to see the countryside.

 3 Q: What about cash – will credit cards work in most places (other than where you pay for food and accommodations from the program fee) or will yuan be needed?

A:Cash works everywhere! Credit cards work mostly in the city. Remember the program fee covers your meals, lodging, transportation etc. Yuan is strongly recommended for personal purchases (like souvenirs). RMB 500 yuan (~$75) will get you around for quite a few days, depending on your spending habit.

Another thing is that it may be a good idea to let your credit card company know that you will be in China for a certain time. Otherwise your card(s) may not work

4 Q: What about passport and visa application
Each participants must have a valid U.S. passport and Chinese visa.

  • Apply for tourist travel visa (L visa) in China from the Chinese Consulate in Houston, TX if you reside in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and Puerto Rico (http://houston.china-consulate.org/eng/vp/zgqz/t518255.htm). Otherwise, http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/zmzlglj/t84229.htm should direct you the consulate where you need to apply visa from.
  • Use “Dr. Huitang Pan” as the contact person in China when filling out the form (Dr. Huitang Pan, cell: 13601231063, #10 Beijing Forestry University, Qinghu Donglu 35,Haidian District, Beijing 100083, China, htpan2000@yahoo.com.cn)
  • Or email me mgu@tamu.edu and I’ll send you a mock visa application form.
  • A simple Google search will find many passport and visa services. Previous participants have used http://www.vippassports.com/visasstep1.htm for Chinese visa, which cost $207.50 in 2010.
  • It takes ~1week if you DIY and go to Houston for the visa, and 2-3 weeks if you hire a visa service.

5 Q: What about vaccination? 
Some basic information is provided by Center for Disease Control (http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/china.htm). Talk to your doctor at least 3 months before the trip since some vaccination may require a series of shots.

I had vaccination for Hep A and Typhoid for my 2012 trip. In 2013, we’ll visit Beijing, Jiangsu and Fujian Province.

Packing Tips:
We will arrange for laundry every 4-5 days at the hotels. This Texas Tech website provided very good “Packing tips” and “Surviving China” informationhttp://www.depts.ttu.edu/agriculturalsciences/China-Hopper/index.php.

6 Q: Chargers and socket adapters

Electrical CONVERTERS: check on the back/side of your various electronic chargers (for cell phones, computers, camera battery chargers); if it says ‘input 100 to 240 V , you won’t need a CONVERTER.

Wall outlet ADAPTERS: Now, most CONVERTERS also have different PLUT ADAPTERS, and you may need an ADAPTER:


7 Q: What’s the dress code?  How much do I pack?

We don’t have formal dinner invitation at this point—-on my last trip, the hosts told us about formal dinner invitation when we were in their city (1-2 days notice). I think 1-2 sets of business casuals would be good enough. We’re going on field trips, so casual will be the norm, but no open-toe shoes. We will have laundry service in almost every stop, and i think 4-5 days of clothes would be good enough.

8 Q: Can I use my cell phone in China?

Depends. I want to buy a SIM card in China, so I need to unlock my cell phone first. RMB 50 (~$8.5) lasted 3 weeks for me in 2010. I have AT&T HTC Vivid and when I checked their website http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532#fbid=X5_I-l2xtuw, I’m eligible for unlocking my cell phone. For AT&T, call 1-800-331-0500. Check your service provider’s website for details.      

9 Q: What do I need to bring on the trip?

This checklist is not meant to be an exhaustive list.


  • Passport
  • Electricity/outlet converter
  • Medicines: CIPRO; Ambien
  • Sunscreen
  • Hats
  • Rain poncho/umbrella
  • Backpack
  • Muck shoes
  • Sun glasses
  • Handiwipes or sanitizer
  • 1 roll toilet paper
  • Snack bars


  • Airline tickets/travel binder
  • Camera; spare battery & battery charger
  • Cell phone & charger
  • Laptop & charger
  • Credit cards/ATM cards

One Response to “Horticulture trip in China”


  1. AgriLife Extension specialist to lead China horticulture trip in May 2013 | AgriLife Today - October 10, 2012

    […] also cover airfare and visa costs. More information and scholarship applications are available at https://greenviion.wordpress.com/announcement/. […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 241 other followers

%d bloggers like this: