Horticulture trip in China

4 Mar


Check out more about the first trip here http://msucares.com/crops/hightunnels/china.

I will be offering one summer trip (July 2-16) and one winter trip (TBA) this year. The cost will be $2,100 (you only need to ‘surrender’ $1,100 if you apply and receive a USDA ISE scholarship), which covers everything in China, including lodging, meals, transportation, and excursions. You just need to get yourself to Beijing airport on July 3, by purchasing your own air ticket (~$1,800) and getting visa (~$200) and stuff like that. Information is available by contacting me mgu@tamu.edu.

Program fee ($2,100) covers:

  • Accommodations
  • Local group transportation
  • Entrance fees
  • All meals
  • Laundry fees

Other out-of-pocket expenses:

    • The estimated cost for these additional expenses is $1,550. Please budget for these additional expenses.$1,200 international airfare
    • $110 US passport applicationhttp://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html
    • $140 Chinese visa application fee ($200 if use a visa service)
    • $30-$150 immunization cost
    • $50 international health insurancehttp://studyabroad.msstate.edu/students/health.html
    • 3-credit tuition and fees (only for students)
    • Personal expenses during the program
    • Anything not specifically mentioned above

Scholarship (contacting  mgu@tamu.edu):
Scholarships ($1,000 each) are available to participants from a USDA ISE grant. Priority is given to growers and students from Mississippi, Arkansas and Florida. However, everyone is encouraged to submit the scholarship application form.

Passport and Visa Application:
Each participants must have a valid U.S. passport and Chinese visa.

  • Apply for tourist travel visa (L visa) in China from the Chinese Consulate in Houston, TX if you reside in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and Puerto Rico (http://houston.china-consulate.org/eng/vp/zgqz/t518255.htm). Otherwise, http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/zmzlglj/t84229.htm should direct you the consulate where you need to apply visa from.
  • Use “Dr. Huitang Pan” as the contact person in China when filling out the form (Dr. Huitang Pan, cell: 13601231063, #10 Beijing Forestry University, Qinghu Donglu 35,Haidian District, Beijing 100083, China, htpan2000@yahoo.com.cn)
  • A simple Google search will find many passport and visa services. Previous participants have used http://www.vippassports.com/visasstep1.htm for Chinese visa, which cost $207.50 in 2010.

Some basic information is provided by Center for Disease Control (http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/china.htm). Talk to your doctor at least 3 months before the trip since some vaccination may require a series of shots.

Packing Tips:
We will arrange for laundry every 4-5 days at the hotels. This Texas Tech website provided very good “Packing tips” and “Surviving China” informationhttp://www.depts.ttu.edu/agriculturalsciences/China-Hopper/index.php.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: